Rodent activity is on the rise according to reports and calls to pest control companies. Exacerbating the problem is the fact that rodents are some of the most adaptable creatures on the planet making them extremely difficult to exterminate. More than just an annoyance, they are known to transmit disease.
“Rodents often go unnoticed until it becomes a larger problem because they are agile and secretive, preferring dark covered areas,” warns Dr. Alice Sinia, resident entomologist at Orkin Canada. “If you know what you’re looking for, you can spot the signs in your home and resolve the issue before the pests have a chance to multiply.”
In addition to sightings and sounds, common indicators that rodents have invaded your home include gnaw marks and damage on surfaces, oil and dirt “rub” marks along the bases of walls and runways, small holes in the wall near the junction with the floor and burrows, and small, pellet-like droppings.
Preventing rodents from ever making it inside your home is the best way to help keep them out. Use these tips from Orkin Canada to protect your home:
1. Seal gaps and cracks around entry points since rodents can squeeze through tiny openings the size of your pinky.
2. Avoid leaving doors open for extended periods of time.
3. Sweep crumbs and clean spills as soon as they occur.
4. Take out the trash regularly and make sure all trash bins are tightly sealed to minimize odours.
5. Trim vegetation away from your home’s exterior to reduce potential hiding spots.
It can be scary finding a rodent in your home, but by working alongside a qualified pest management provider and notifying them immediately if you notice a problem, you can help reduce and prevent an infestation.